Three-day Coast to Coast (C2C) cycle ride: Whitehaven to Tynemouth
- Day 0
- Train from London Euston to Whitehaven via Carlisle (~5h)
- Stay at The Mansion. Breakfast included. Convenience store nearby, several supermarkets in town.
- Day 1
- Collect bike from Haven Cycles
- Cycle from Whitehaven to Penrith: 87km distance, 1250m ascent, 5h30 moving time
- Stay at the Station Hotel. Dinner and breakfast available. Several supermarkets and restaurants nearby. Semi-secure bike storage.
- Day 2
- Cycle from Penrith to St John’s Chapel: 66km, 1750m, 5h
- Stay at The Golden Lion. Dinner and breakfast available. Convenience store nearby. Secure bike storage.
- Day 3
- Cycle from St John’s Chapel to Tynemouth: 78km, 575m, 4h30
- Leave bike at The Gibraltar Rock
- Metro from Tynemouth to Newcastle (~0h30)
- Train from Newcastle to London Kings Cross (~3h15)
- Total distance of 230km with 2925m of climbing (GPX)
- This route provides a decent balance: the first day being the longest, the second the hilliest, and the last providing enough time for onward travel
- Suitable preparation is riding at least 100km over undulating terrain in a single day
- The route has two deviations from the conventional C2C:
- Avoids Whinlatter Forest, which is only recommended for off-road bikes (not hybrids)
- Passes through via St John’s Chapel rather than Rookhope due to availability of accommodation